Monday, October 11, 2010

Savory Energy Bars: "Italian" Hard Tack

Recently I was talking with a buddy of mine about meals and, more importantly, packaged meals, when he bemoaned the fact that most of your energy or meal replacement bars are sweet.  In fact, there are quite a few bars out there, and they tend to be held together with sugar, or covered in chocolate.  Being a fan of savory, we talked about possible solutions for meal replacement bars that were not sugar bombs. 


Well, this weekend I thought I would give it a try.  I had most of the ingredients already and I wanted to see if it were possible.  So Saturday, before going to dinner, I thought I would throw it together, and here is the recipe:


2    cups    all purpose flour
2    cups    bread crumbs
1/2 cup      corn meal
1/2 cup      oatmeal
4    tbsp     tomato paste
2    tbsp     Parmesan cheese, grated
4    tbsp     italian seasoning
2    tbsp     garlic powder
1    tsp       Kosher salt
1.5 cups    water


I first combined all the dry ingredients and mixed them together well.  I then added the tomato paste and cut it into the dry mix, and added the water so that it would just bind it together.  I then kneaded it together well, and rolled it into a log of about 3 inches thick.  Once rolled out, I cut it into 32 pieces, and baked it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees (could have been longer if I wanted it less chewy and more like a cracker). 


The next day I had two pieces with a large glass of water, and found them very filling.  Two or three fills up quite well, and the flavor is decent.  This isn't a cookie, but there is quite a bit of sweetness in the tomato that it's almost like eating a pizza crust with just the sauce.  And each piece is just 71 calories.  It's nice because I can use this little bar to satisfy those tomato soup cravings I get occasionally, without having to cook anything up.


The recipe was adapted from a hard tack recipe that I found online here


No comments: