Monday, October 18, 2010

Mac OS 10.7 Wish List

It's been a while since I've created a wish list for an Apple product, but with the rumor that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion being given a sneak peek on Wednesday, I thought I would throw up a quick wish list. 



  1. iCal Fix:  I've had trouble with some Exchange calendars within iCal.  I would like that fixed.  I've been looking for a fix with each subsequent minor update, but it's not been there.  I really want this to happen, even with the debut of Outlook for Mac in Office 2011.

  2. FaceTime:  This will probably happen anyway, but it would be nice to have it on the Mac. 

  3. Broader File System Support:  I want to be able to browse ext3 files, and have read-write access already built in for NTFS, ext3, etc.  It would make working in a mixed environment that much easier.

  4. VDI Support:  I've been researching a lot of virtual desktop infrastructure solutions, and it would be nice to have such a solution available for the Mac.  Right now the best option is NetBoot with a network-shared Applications folder.  There has to be a better way, making it possible to run apps on a lot of other platforms.  Particularly I would like to see a VDI solution that would incorporate the iPad.  This would probably be a server application.

  5. Run iOS Apps in Dashboard:  This would be cool, though I'm not sure it would be necessary.  It would be nice to be able to download your iOS app and test it out before throwing it on your phone/iPad, as well as have access to all your iOS apps on your desktop when necessary.

  6. Cloud Support:  This means different things for different people.  For me, it means accessing stored files easier using your cloud repository (like Dropbox), accessing cloud-provided applications (like XenApp), and cloud-provided desktops. 

  7. Touch Support:  With the touch pad, the Magic Mouse, and similar things, I see multi-touch becoming very important to Apple. It has been their signature for the iOS devices, and I see it coming to to the Mac more than it already is. 


So that's my list for now.  I'm sure there are other things that would be cool too, but for now these are the 7 things I think would be nice to have with Mac OS 10.7.  We shall see what Apple has in store for us on Wednesday!


No comments: