Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Blue Stilton Cheese Shortbread Recipe

Prior to Christmas, I heard an episode of Kitchen Cafe from a BBC Scotland podcast where a chef was featured making a cheddar and parmesan cheese cookie.  The idea of a savory, cheesy cookie sounded so good to me, I immediately downloaded the recipe with the intent to make some as soon as I could.  

As the days and months passed, I never could seem to find the time.  Then, just recently, I finally tried to make it.  But, instead of making it with the recipe as written, I made some changes.  You see, I had some extra sharp white Irish cheddar and some Blue Stilton left over from a New Year's party, and I wanted to use it up, so I ended up making Blue Stilton cookies instead.

Here is the recipe: 

  • 100g of butter, cut into cubes
  • 150g all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp celery salt
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp white pepper
  • 60g crumbled Blue Stilton cheese
  • 60g grated white cheddar
  1. I pulled out the old Food Processor and threw the ingredients in together, and gave it a good pulse until it could be pressed together by itself.  It was a little drier than pie dough, if you are going by texture.  It took about 3 minutes of pulsing to get it where I wanted it.  
  2. Next, I put the dough into a ziplock bag and chilled it into the refrigerator for a good 30 minutes.
  3. I then preheated the oven to 350 degrees, and pulled out the now chilled dough.
  4. I rolled it out into a snake shape (like with Play-Doh), and cut off about 1/4 inch rounds.
  5. I pressed the rounds onto the cookie sheet, and baked for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until they were just starting to get golden brown.

I call them shortbread beacuse the texture once done was very much like shortbread.  It crumbles easily, and melts in your mouth.  The flavor of the cheese was muted when they were warm, but as they cooled the flavor got stronger.  To date I have very little left. They go very well with soups.

If you do try to make some, let me know how it went!  

No comments: