Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Merry Christmas to All

I have two favorite traditional holidays:  Hallowe'en, and Christmas.  Christmas to me means spending time with family and friends, eating good food, and focusing on the fun and religious aspects of the holiday.  I continually go back to the German for Christmas, as they originated many of our traditions (thanks to Prince Albert and Queen Victoria).  The Christmas tree, the holiday confections (though I do occasionally make a French yule log), and the idea that it is a sacred night (Weinacht, in German).  The Scots traditionally have had a rather subdued Christmas tradition that focuses on this same concept of a holy, sacred night a long time ago in Bethlehem.  I'm not going to quibble about exact dates, because it doesn't matter.  What matters is the message of the Christmas season.

So this Christmas, spend time with your family in a slow, fun night.  Don't worry about presents, going all out with food or dectorating.  Focus on your connection with each other, how much you love each other, and the fun you have together.  Because that, to me, is the true Spirit of Christmas. 

Frohe Weinacht alle!  

No comments: