Thursday, April 22, 2010

Week In Review: Politics and Training

This week has been really interesting, and really busy.  For that reason, I'm doing another week in review (and it's only Thursday!). 


First, Apple Training.  I taught the Mac OS X 10.6 Server Essentials course this week, and had two students.  Both were sharp, but one, Aaron Hix, works with Apple.  It was fun to talk with him, learn some things from his experiences, and talk about people we know.  I also got to see him at work (three laptops, an iPad, and an iPhone all running).  It was great fun, and we got a lot accomplished, and quickly!  It was the first time the Server Essentials class finished in 3 days instead of 4 (though we did skip exercises that both students were not anxious to go through). 


Second, I ordered an iPad from the Campus bookstore.  They had a sale where sales tax was not included in the price of all Apple merchandise, so I thought I would go for it.  Unfortunately, they didn't have any iPads in stock (none!  Not even the 32GB which is supposed to be the unpopular one).  So, I placed the order and paid for it anyway, and I'm still waiting for it to show up (it could be in as late as next week).  In the mean time, I'm getting my apps ready, my pictures put together, and other fun things that come with getting a new device. 


Third, I became a Master Trainer for Apple IT classes, which means that we at the University of Utah can offer T3 courses.  It's pretty exciting, and I'm looking forward to some being scheduled.  I also found out that we are unique among Apple Authorized Training Centers because we are able to run classes with just two students.  Other AATC's usually need to have 5 to 8 to run a class.  We are hoping this means we get more students coming to our site, knowing we won't cancel on them. 


Now for the Politics.  Apparently former Illinois Governor Blagojavich wants to have President Obama testify in his corruption trial, as part of the defense.  It will be interesting to see if a federal judge will try to subpoena the President in this matter.  My guess is he will not find reason to do so, though it's always possible.  Even if it doesn't happen here in Federal Court, it may be taken to the Supreme Court where the President will be asked again to testify.  And if asked, will the President make a personal appearance, or will he participate in some other way?  I'm keeping my eye on this one, just because it's an interesting situation for the Judicial and the Executive branches. 


Apple vs. Adobe:  An interesting game of attacks, primarily from Adobe.  All over Flash..  Sure, Flash is a big part of the web (advertising, at least for my part), and it's quite popular.  But Apple doesn't want it on their iPhone or iPad.  So, Adobe tried to work around it by using Flash to develop apps for the iPhone and iPad, which Apple killed with the 4.0 user agreement (which also killed Titanium from Appcelerator).  Rumors were flying about Adobe suing Apple, but today they attacked Apple by saying they would rather work with Open platforms with their proprietary platform than with Apple's closed ecosystem that supports open standards.  Apple fired back, the first time the Company has said anything publicly, while Adobe as a company and as individuals have been spewing forth hatred and ire at Apple. 


Now, I really like Apple.  I teach about their technologies, and I'm developing for the iPhone using their tools (mostly because I can't use Titanium for my class I'm developing).  I like Adobe.  Photoshop is great, as are many of their other products.  But, much like fanbois for any technology that attack others for their choices, Adobe as a company has been very, well, surprisingly unprofessional.  So has Steve Jobs in his remarks, though they were never made publicly (I don't consider a company meeting public, as it's within the private company). 


I come away from this liking the experience I have with Apple's tools, not having stupid Flash ads pop up over websites I'm trying to read, and enjoying the idea of having open standards grow faster on the Internet.  I also come away from this with a bad taste in my mouth for Adobe.  Perhaps I should start to look at the GIMP a bit more.  Also, I come away with having less respect for Steve Jobs as a person, though he seems to be doing very well as a CEO. 


Anyway, that's the week in review.  Hopefully there will be some new news on the iPad soon, as in tomorrow.  But if not, I'll be talking about it when I finally get my hands on it.


No comments: