Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Armistice Day: A Day To Remember Our Veterans

Tomorrow is Armistice Day, Veterans Day, Remembrance Day, or what ever the day is referred to in your country, and commemorates the start of the armistice that ended World War I in 1918 on the 11th month, the 11th day, at the 11th hour.  Since it was delcared by President Woodrow Wilson in 1919, it has since become a day to remember all our veterans of any war, at least here in the United States. 


On this day, I thought it would be fitting to mention the veterans in my own family that I am aware of. 


My great uncle Buck was a veteran of World War II.  I don't ever remember meeting him, but we visited his grave every Memorial Day. 


My wife's grandfather who served in the Navy in World War II.


My uncle Bob was a veteran who served in the Army in France, though after the war.


My uncle George served in Vietnam in the Army. 


My father missed Vietnam by 3 weeks, and the Gulf War by 3 weeks.  He has served in the Army, National Guard, and the Army Reserves for years. 


My Father-in-law who served in the Navy during the Vietnam War and the Gulf War.


My big younger brother is currently serving his Nation in Afganistan, and his tour of duty is due to be up in April, if I remember right.  He gets some time on the computer and can post on Facebook, letting us know he is still alive and doing well. 


I have cousins in the Air Force, Army, and Marines.  While I have not sought a career in the Military myself, the plight and concern for our veterans has been of interest to me for years.  My wife as well, as she grew up on a Naval Base in San Diego. 


As the 11th of November comes around, and you go about your daily routine because schools and businesses do not close anymore in honor of out veterans, I want you to think about why we have the holiday.  Take a minute and think on those friends and family that have served and are currently serving in the military, and what they are fighting for.  This isn't a day for political posturing, incriminations, accusations, or attacks on the Military, but rather a day to reflect on the freedoms we have and the freedoms others do not, and who made those freedoms available to you. 


These are the veterans that I am aware of that are close, as of the beginning of World War II. 


No comments: