Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Taking the Social Networking Plunge: Using Twitter

Lately I have been sucked into the Social Networking scheme.  I think someone is trying to tell me something about individuality and the need to collaborate, but I have been creating social networking logins all over the scene.  

It started with my sister-in-law convincing my sister to sign up at GoodReads, and my sister subsequently sending it to me.  I didn't see any harm in it, as it was a place for me to post the books that I have read and currently reading.  Not too invasive, right?  

Next, my colleague introduced me to Last.FM, which is quickly taking the place of my regular iTunes materials.  After all, where else can I get Abney Park mixed with Vernian Process and Dolphins?  It's now become an addiction, and I've only had it for one day.  

The final straw now is getting a Twitter account.  I've never seen the point in spending so much time writing about what I am doing.  Isn't that what a blog is for?  well, yes and no.  A blog is great for longer thoughts, essays, comments, etc. that take a lot of thought and time to explain.  But what about those single thoughts, complaints about something not compiling, or little projects that just don't take a lot of time?  This is what Twitter allows you to do.  

And I'm now using Twitter to keep track of my productivity.  I can use it to document the projects I do during the day, so I can look back and see just what it was I accomplished while working.  So, believe it or not, I've actually taken the plunge into the Social Networking scene.  Perhaps soon, I may actually become a social person.  ^_^

No comments: