Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Apple Training IV: Auditory Learners and Cognitive Load

I'm an auditory learner. Yes, I admit it freely. I have to read something, say it in my head, or hear someone talk about it and write it down in order to process it properly. As such, there are some limitations, or a limit to my cognitive load that I can handle before I get so overwhelmed I turn off. That limit comes when there are a lot of people talking at the same time, or when someone talks so fast that their words become a blur.

Why do I bring this up, you may ask? Well, this week has been nothing but people talking about minute details after minute details, arguing over issues that are not real issues, trying to get their suggestions in the new Apple training for Server (which is pretty much set in stone anyway, save some minor changes). As such, I have been unable to focus on half the stuff that the presenter has been trying to get across, partly because of the unnecessary comments or complaints, and partly because the presenter has been trying to speed up the lessons by talking as fast as he can.

As such, I have often reached my cognitive load rather quickly, and soon turn off to the instructor. Unfortunately, I need to be able to pass the certification exam, so instead of trying to catch up with the material through the quagmire that is the classroom, I have been reading ahead in the books, taking my own notes, and doing the assignments on my own.

Now, to be fair, there are over 40 people in the room. That means that even when people are trying to get things to work (when they don't read and follow the directions), everyone else is finished and socializing. This is, after all, the first time many of us have seen each other in a long time.

Anyway, at present I am ahead of the class by a full assignment, and will probably finish fairly early tomorrow. That's good, because I want to go over the new material (i.e. Mail, Web, and Collaborative Services) in more detail before the test on Friday. When I finish, get home, and get a chance to rest, I'll post my impressions of the training overall, and what I think of the new material. So far, actually, it's been great material. I'll explain why later. ^_^

No comments: